Electro-mechanics with SmartTouch

Dear Community,

My name is Tomasz Jadczyk. I am a cardiac electrophysiologist at the Medical University of Silesia. My research interests focus on the assessment of electro-mechanics in patients with heart failure. I use the NOGA-XP system, Biosense Webster, to assess electro-mechanical parameters of the left ventricle.

For a reference you may wish to check these articles:

1. Local electromechanical alterations determine the left ventricle rotational dynamics in CRT-eligible heart failure patients | Scientific Reports

2. The influence of scar on the spatio-temporal relationship between electrical and mechanical activation in heart failure patients - influence of scar on the spatio-temporal relationship between electrical and mechanical activation in heart failure patients | EP Europace | Oxford Academic

I found the “processSmartTouchForceData” and “read_forcefile_v2” functions in the OpenEP API Documentation and I am wondering if it is possible to use these options to analyze mechanics from SmartTouch catheter. As a result, I would like to get a NOGA-like map (please see Supplementary Information; Local electromechanical alterations determine the left ventricle rotational dynamics in CRT-eligible heart failure patients | Scientific Reports).

I will be grateful for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Tomasz Jadczyk MD PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Cardiology and Structural Heart Diseases
Medical University of Silesia

Dear Tomasz,

Thank you very much for your message and for sharing the publications.

I will have a look at how the NOGA map is created; how the displacement field is calculated for each mesh node. I think we can possibly do something similar with OpenEP.

@martin.bishop have you seen the maps in the supplementary material? Is it something we might consider implementing?

Best wishes
Steven

Dear Steven,

Thank you for your interest to verify if OpenEP could be used for electro-mechanics.
This article gives an overview about the NOGA system: Diagnostic and prognostic value of 3D NOGA mapping in ischemic heart disease | Nature Reviews Cardiology

I am open for collaboration. If you and @martin.bishop would need any additional information please let me know.

Kind regards,
Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks fir this further info. We will take a look and see what is possible!

First I’ll work on the EnSite import though :slight_smile:

Steven

Dear Steven,

Thank you for giving priority to the EnSite implementation. This feature would be fantastic and very useful.

Kind regards,
Tomasz